The first thing you notice are Wayne's searing blue eyes.
Or at least that's the first thing I scribbled about a doc I can't recommend highly enough: Beauty Is Embarrassing, which played at Full Frame and IFFBoston this spring [I caught it at the former]. You need to know about Wayne White. And then tell your friends. In fact, when my former student Vince -- a gifted artist who transferred to the School of the Art Institute of Chicago -- showed up at Film Forum after I put out a general Facebook call for folks to come see Celine and Julie Go Boating with me this past May, I insisted he see this film about a fellow southern eccentric. Fast-forward to last month, when Vince's status update read:
Makin downhome trash art with one of my personal Southern artist heros Wayne White at 3rdWard! Shit, Yeah! @waynewhitedoc
- a family of artist / thrift store art
- Ed Ruscha
- "It's so beautiful it hurts my feeelings."
- Mimi: Valley Girls' Guide to Life
- 15 lb. solid white pine / Randy
- That's the American dream FU $
- Duchamp is a big French fag